- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: (plus 30 minutes to rest)
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 kg chicken, cut into pieces
- 500 g thinly sliced onions
- 75 g blanched flaked almonds
- 60 g coriander seeds
- 20 cardamom pods
- 6 small red chillies
- 225 ml water
- 500 ml natural yogurt
- black pepper
- boiled rice and naan breads, to serve
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the chicken pieces in batches just until they begin to lose their pinkness (don`t brown them), then remove from the pan and set them aside.
2. Add the onions to the pan and cook for 8 minutes, until softened but not browned. Add the almonds, coriander, cardamom and chilli. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until the pods puff up.
3. Place the onion mixture into a blender and add the water. Whiz to blend and return the mixture to the pan. Add the yoghurt and return the chicken to the pan. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
4. Turn off the heat and allow the dish to rest for 30 minutes.
5. Serve with rice and naan bread.
Rate This Recipe