- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 45 minutes plus chilling
- Effort: medium
For the pastry
- 80 g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 75 g caster sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 150 g flour
For the filling
- 350-400g pumpkin, peeled, seeds removed, flesh cut into small chunks
- 250 g sugar
- 50 g butter
- 6 tbsp rum
- 225 g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
1. For the pastry: cream the butter and sugar in a food processor until pale and fluffy. Slowly add the egg, then the flour, and pulse briefly until mixed. Roll into a ball, wrap in cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6 and grease a 20cm flan tin.
3. Roll out the pastry thinly and press it into the tin. Trim the edges neatly. Line with baking parchment and weigh down with baking beans. Bake blind for about 5 minutes or until the pastry is a light golden brown. Remove the baking parchment and beans, and set the pastry case aside.
4. For the filling: place the pumpkin on a roasting tray and bake for 20-30 minutes until tender.
5. Put the sugar in a large heavy-based frying pan over a low heat. Stir constantly, until the sugar turns a very dark, golden colour. Add the pumpkin and roll it around in the caramel.
6. Stir in the butter and rum and continue stirring until everything is well blended.
7. Spoon the mixture into the pastry case. Cover with the coarsely chopped chocolate and bake for 10 minutes. Serve warm.
Rate This Recipe