- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the yeast cake
- 500 g plain flour
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 80 g raisins
- 15 g yeast
- 8 eggs
- 250 g clarified butter
- 1 litres sugar sugar syrup, (made with vanilla, juice of 1 lemon and 1 orange)
- 10 shots rum
- 50 ml apricot jam, warmed to make a glaze
- 1 quince, peeled, cut intos 1/8, poached in the stock syrup
- chantilly cream, (sweetened whipped cream)
1. For the yeast cake: mix the flour, sugar, raisins, yeast and eggs together to form a batter, cover and prove for 20 minutes in a warm place. Stir in the butter slowly until incorporated.
2. Preheat the oven to 200C/ gas 6. Butter 8 moulds and dust with flour.
3. Pour the batter into the moulds until it reaches two thirds of the way up. Prove for a further 20 minutes then bake in the oven until golden, about 20 minutes. Leave to cool.
4. Heat the stock syrup and add 2 shots of the rum. Dip the babas in, turning over until steeped in the liquid.
5. Carefully brush each baba with the warm apricot glaze. Cut them open and pour a shot of rum over each. Serve with the quince and chantilly cream.
Rate This Recipe