- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus soaking time
- Effort: medium
- 500 ml full-fat milk
- 70 ml single cream
- 15 g unsalted butter
- 60 g caster sugar, plus a little to scatter
- 110 g fresh rye breadcrumbs
- 1/2 lemon, zest only
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp brandy
- 3 tbsp wild berry jam
- pinches salt
- 1/4 tsp caraway seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/ gas mark 4.
2. Heat milk and cream in a pan. Add the butter and half the sugar and stir until melted. Remove from heat and stir in the crumbs and zest and leave for 15 minutes for the bread to swell up.
3. Separate the eggs - beat the yolks a little and add to the crumb mixture along with brandy.
4. Butter a 1½ pt shallow dish, pour in the mixture, level off, then bake in the oven until set (about 30mins).
5. Turn the oven up to 200C/ gas 6.
6. Melt the jam in a pan without burning. Spread over the set crumb mix (very gently!)
7. Whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl with the pinch of salt until firm then whisk in the remaining sugar and caraway seeds.
8. Spoon over the dish and peak up with the back of the spoon. Sprinkle with a little sugar and put back in the oven for about 10 -15 minutes until golden.
Rate This Recipe