- Serves: Makes 1 loaf
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 4 hrs rising
- Effort: easy
- 500 g rye flour, plus extra for dusting
- 30 g fresh yeast
- 280 ml tepid water
- 15 g salt
- 8 ml malt extract or treacle
- 50 g butter
- 3 tbsp caraway seeds
1. Place 250g of the rye flour and the yeast in a large mixing bowl. Add around 180ml of tepid water and mix it thoroughly to make a thick batter
2. Set the dough aside to rest for around 2 hours, until the batter has risen and then fallen.
3. Add the remaining flour, remaining tepid water, salt, treacle, butter and caraway seeds and mix together making a pliable dough.
4. Dust the inside of a rye loaf basket with flour. Shape the dough into a loaf and place in the basket. Set aside to rise for 2 hours.
5. Preheat the oven to 220ºC/gas 7.
6. Place the risen loaf on a baking tray lined with baking parchment. Dust lightly with rye flour and bake for 30 minutes.
Rate This Recipe