- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Prep Time:
- Effort: medium
- 1.5 kg chicken, boned
- 2 red onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 leek, coarsely chopped
- ½ sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- black pepper
- 2-3 sprigs of tarragon
Tips and Suggestions
To bone the chicken, remove the backbone and neck. Next remove the rib cage by slicing the chicken, being careful not to puncture the skin. Open up the chicken and remove the thighbone so you are only left with the drumsticks and wings. Alternatively ask your butcher to do this, if you prefer.
1. Mix the onions, garlic, leek, sweet potato and red pepper together in a large bowl. Stir in the olive oil and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
2. Stuff the chicken with the vegetables and then reshape the chicken, pulling the flesh firmly together and securing well with bamboo or metal skewers.
3. Wrap the chicken up in about 3 layers of tin foil and add some fresh tarragon for flavour. Place the chicken into the ground and cover with hot ashes. Leave for about 1 hour 30 minutes, until cooked. Alternatively, barbecue or roast in the oven at 200°C/gas 6 for 1 hour 20 minutes.
Rate This Recipe