- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- a handful of blanched flaked almonds
- a few strands saffron
- 1 tsp black peppercorns, racked in a pestle and mortar
- 200 g basmati rice, rinsed
- 600 ml cold water
1. Heat the oil in a heavy-based medium saucepan and gently fry the almonds, a sprinkle of salt, saffron and peppercorns for 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
2. Add in the rice and fry, stirring, for 3-4 minutes.
3. Add in the cold water and stir well. Bring to the boil.
4. Reduce the heat to low, cover tightly and simmer for 20 minutes until the rice is tender and the liquid absorbed.
5. Loosen with a fork gently and transfer to a serving dish. Serve.
Rate This Recipe