- Serves: Makes 1 cake
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 10-12 strands saffron
- 2 tsp hot water
- 6 eggs
- 350 g sugar
- 350 g butter, softened
- 350 g plain flour, sifted
- 2 heaped tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp orange flower water
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas 5.
2. In a cup or small bowl, set the saffron to infuse in the hot water.
3. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs.
4. Stir in the saffron water, then mix in the sugar.
5. Add the softened butter to the egg mixture and mix together well, using a wooden spoon.
6. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour and baking powder.
7. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and beat thoroughly forming a smooth, creamy mixture.
8. Mix in the orange flower water.
9. Transfer the mixture to a greased lined 20cm loose-based cake tin.
10. Bake for 50 minutes until set and risen. Cool on a wire rack.
Rate This Recipe