- Serves: 2
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 1 hr 30 mins pressing
- Effort: easy
For the Pan Bagnat:
- 1 loaf of crusty bread
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- red wine vinegar
- extra virgin olive oil
- black pepper
- ripe tomatoes, sliced
- pinch of sugar, if needed
- leaves basil
For the filling:
- crisp lettuce, shredded
- sliced salami, skinned
- black olives, pitted
- tinned or marinated anchovy fillets
- hard-boiled eggs, shelled and sliced or quartered
- tinned tuna, drained and flaked
- peppers, grilled and skinned
- spring onions, sliced
- red onions, thinly sliced
- radishes, sliced
1. Cut the loaf in half horizontally. Pull out a little of the soft white crumb to make a cavity on both sides.
2. Rub the inside of the loaf with the cut side of a garlic clove.
3. Make a vinaigrette dressing by whisking together 1 part red wine vinegar to 5 parts olive oil and seasoning it with salt and freshly ground pepper. Drizzle a little of the vinaigrette over both sides of the bread.
4. Layer the sliced tomatoes on the base of the sliced loaf. Sprinkle with a pinch of sugar if needed, then scatter over the basil.
5. Fill the Pan Bagnat with a mixture of the filling ingredients, using all or some of them as you wish.
6. Drizzle a little vinaigrette over the filling as you layer them, taking care not to add too much vinaigrette.
7. Cover the filling with the remaining loaf half and press down firmly. Wrap tightly in foil or cling film, weight with tins and set aside in the refrigerator for at least 1 and a half hours.
8. Cut the mega-sandwich into large wedges and serve.
Rate This Recipe