- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus soaking and chilling
- Effort: easy
- 130 g pinto beans, soaked overnight
- 2 chipotle chillies
- 1 pasilla chilli
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 200 g tomatillos, chopped
- 100 g canned sweetcorn, drained
Tips and Suggestions
Canned tomatillos can be substituted for fresh, but they are likely to have less of a clean, sharp flavour so add a little lime juice as well.
1. Drain the beans and put into a large pan. Cover with water and place a lid on the pan. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 45-50 minutes until tender. The beans should still have a little bite and should not be breaking up.
2. While the beans are cooking, soak the chipotle and pasilla chillies in hot water for about 10 minutes until softened. Drain and reserve a little of the water.
3. Remove the stalks from the chillies, slit open and remove the seeds by scraping with a small sharp knife. Mix to a smooth paste with a little of the reserved water.
4. Drain the beans and rinse in cold water. Allow to drain thoroughly and cool.
5. Roast the garlic in a dry frying pan for a few minutes until turning golden, then chop finely and add to the beans.
6. Add the onion and tomatillos to the beans. Stir in the sweetcorn.
7. Add the chilli paste and mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
8. Chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
9. This will keep for 3-4 days in the fridge.
Rate This Recipe