- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 6 Italian sausages, with fennel, chopped into 2cm slices
- 100 g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 100 g oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 100 g porcini mushrooms, sliced (use dried if out of season)
- 100 g pitted black Kalamata olives, in olive oil
- 200 ml beef stock
- knob of butter
- 30 g plain flour
- 400 g quick-cook polenta
- 1 litres vegetable stock, (or as much as your polenta packet recommends)
- 200 g pecorino cheese, grated
1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion, sausages and mushrooms over a medium heat for 8 minutes until golden, stirring occasionally.
2. Add the olives, season with salt and freshly grated black pepper, add the beef stock and simmer for about 10 minutes over a medium heat.
3. Dip the knob of butter into the plain flour, then add to the sauce and stir, allowing the sauce to thicken very slowly.
4. While the sauce is thickening, put the polenta and the vegetable stock into another medium saucepan and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until it thickens.
5. Stir in the pecorino, season with salt and pepper and stir well. The polenta should not be too stiff add some hot water, if necessary.
6. Turn out onto a wooden board. Spoon the sausages and sauce over the polenta and serve immediately on the board.
Rate This Recipe