- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: hard
- 2 duck breast, weighing 170g each
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp chopped deseeded chillies
- 2 tbsp clear honey
- 200 g Pink Fir apple potatoes, cooked
For the bacon sauce:
- 2 rashers sweet black bacon, sliced into strips
- drizzle of olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 onion, thinly chopped
- 4 tbsp red wine
- 8 tbsp beef stock
- small knob of butter
- black pepper
For the vegetable mix:
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- small knob of ginger, finely chopped
- 1/2 red chillies, eseeded and finely chopped
- 2 handfuls of bean sprouts
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
2. Score the fat on each duck breast. Rub with the salt and pepper. Heat a heavy-based griddle pan over medium-high heat. Add the duck breasts skin side down, and sizzle for a few minutes until the skin is browned.
3. Add the chillies and honey to the pan in which you fried the duck breasts. Stir over gentle heat to caramelise.
4. Once the duck breasts are sealed, rub the honey and chilli mixture over the skin and transfer them to a small roasting pan, skin side up. Roast for 20-25 minutes until cooked through.
5. Preheat a stove-top grill pan. Griddle the potatoes, until charred, turning occasionally. Transfer to a warm serving dish and keep warm while you make the sauce.
6. To make the sauce, fry the bacon in the oil until crisp. Add the garlic and onion, and gently fry for a minute or two until soft.
7. Add the red wine and simmer for a few minutes until reduce by half. Add the beef stock and reduce again. Finally whisk in the knob of butter and season to taste.
8. To make the vegetable mix, heat the olive oil in a small wok or heavy-based frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the ginger, chillies and bean sprouts, and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes until slightly softened. Sprinkle in the sugar and Worcestershire sauce, and season to taste.
9. To serve, slice the duck breasts on the diagonal and transfer to warm serving plates. Serve with the griddled potatoes and stir-fried vegetables and spoon over the bacon sauce.
Rate This Recipe