- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1.5 kg salt
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tbsp water
- 12 kg bream, not de-scaled or gutted
For the aioli:
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk, (at room temperature)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 250 ml olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas 5.
2. Sprinkle an even layer of salt over a roasting tray. Lightly whisk the egg whites and the water together. Drizzle 2-3 tablespoons of the egg white mixture over the salt layer.
3. Place the bream on top. Cover the bream completely with the remaining salt. Sprinkle over the remaining egg white mixture.
4. Bake the sea bream for 1 hour then remove from the oven.
5. Meanwhile, make the aioli. In a food processor, blend together the garlic, whole egg and yolk, lemon juice and salt.
6. With the processor running, add the olive oil in a thin steady stream forming a thick smooth garlic-flavoured mayonnaise.
7. Crack open the rock-hard salt with a heavy knife or a hammer and chisel. Serve the bream with home-made olive oil mayonnaise or aioli.
Rate This Recipe