- Serves: Makes 8
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 24 hrs soaking for the cod
- Effort: medium
- 500 g salt cod
- 500 ml milk
- 2 bay leaves
- 400 g potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 60 g plain flour, sieved
- 20 g ground almonds
- 2 clove garlic, finely chopped
- a small handful of parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp baby capers, rinsed and dried
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4-5 tbsp olive oil, for frying
1. Soak the salt cod for 24 hours, changing the water about four times during the process.
2. Place the cod into a large saucepan, pour in the milk, add the bay leaves and poach for 15 minutes. Leave to cool. Remove the skin and any bones from the cod and discard. Reserve the flesh and the poaching liquid.
3. Cook the potato slices in the poaching milk, adding enough water to cover them completely. Drain and mash.
4. Bring 300ml water and the oil to a boil in a large saucepan and carefully add the flour and almonds, stirring continuously. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
5. Mash the cod and potatoes together and add this mixture to the flour mixture. Continue to cook over a low heat, stirring continuously. Add the garlic, parsley and capers.
6. Season with freshly ground black pepper and leave to cool.
7. Heat the oil in a frying pan over a moderate heat and fry tablespoons of the mixture until golden.
8. Serve with lemon mayonnaise.
Real Cork recommends: enjoy with light red Aragonez
Rate This Recipe