- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 kg salt cod, skinned, boned and flaked
- 400 g potatoes, cooked, mashed and cooled (Roseval, Desiree or Maris Piper)
- 100 ml olive oil, for frying
For the coating
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1 eggs, beaten
- 8 tbsp breadcrumbs
For the topping
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 100 g capers
- 2 tbsp gherkins, finely chopped
- 0.5 preserved lemons, chopped
- 1 tbsp chives, chopped
- 1 pinches fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. In a large bowl, mix together the mashed potatoes and flaked salt cod. Season and shape into fritters or 'croquettes', about 3cm diameter, or about the length of your little finger.
2. Dip the fritters into flour, followed by beaten egg and then coat in fresh breadcrumbs. Heat 4 tbsp of the olive oil in a shallow pan over a medium heat. Fry the fritters until golden, remove from the pan and keep warm.
3. Add the remaining oil to the pan and toss in the onion, garlic, capers, gherkins, preserved lemon and a pinch of salt and pepper - fry for a minute or so. Place the fritters on 4 plates and spoon over the warm dressing. Scatter with fresh chives and serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe