- Serves: Makes 16 squares
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the caramel
- 200 g white granulated sugar
- 50 ml water
- 200 ml double cream
- 1 tsp sea salt, preferably Maldon
For the brownies
- 250 g dark chocolate, broken into pieces (minimum 70% cocoa solids)
- 250 g unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs
- 300 g granulated sugar
- 150 g plain flour
- sea salt, for sprinkling
1. For the caramel: In a small saucepan, heat the sugar and water over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes. The sugar will melt and small bubbles will start appearing. Dont be tempted to stir, as this can encourage the caramel to crystalise just swill the pan round using the handle.
2. Once the sugar has started boiling, it should be light brown in colour this should take about 5 minutes. Continue boiling until it has become medium brown. Remove the saucepan from the heat and pour the cream into the mixture. It will hiss and spit and seem to solidify but be patient and return to the heat for 2-3 minutes. Stir through the salt, transfer to a glass jar or bowl and let it cool to room temperature or pop it into the fridge for 20 minutes.
3. For the brownies: Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
4. Melt the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally until smooth. Set aside.
5. Using an electric whisk, beat the eggs and sugar in a bowl for 5 minutes until thick and foamy. Whisk in the cooled chocolate mixture, then sieve and fold in the flour.
6. Line a 23cm x 23cm square tin with parchment paper and put in half the brownie mixture, spreading it into a layer at the bottom of the tin. Next add three quarters of the cooled caramel, using a large spoon to coat the brownie layer evenly. Put the remaining brownie mixture on top, again spreading evenly. Finish off with the last of the caramel, using the spoon to smooth it on top.
7. Sprinkle with a little salt and bake for 30-35 minutes. Remove from the oven, cool overnight and cut into squares to serve.
For more ways with salted caramel, take a look at our salted caramel recipes
Rate This Recipe