- Serves: 8
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 450 g ripe tomatoes
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 small fresh serrano chillies, or jalapeno chillies, seeds removed and chopped
- 120 ml orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 3 limes, juice
- 0.5 tsp caster sugar
- 1 pinches salt
- 1 x 8 shots golden or aged tequila
1. With a sharp knife, score the base of each tomato in a small cross-shape. Place the tomatoes in a heatproof bowl and pour over enough boiling water to cover. Leave for 3 minutes.
2. Lift the tomatoes out with a slotted spoon and plunge into a second bowl of cold water. The skins will have begun to peel back from the crosses. Remove the skins, cut the tomatoes in half and scoop out the seeds with a teaspoon.
3. Chop the tomato flesh and transfer to a food processor. Add the onion, chillies, orange juice, limejuice, sugar and salt. Process until all the mixture is very smooth,
4. Pour the tomato mixture into a jug and add the tequila. Stir well to mix everything together. Chill for about an hour before serving.
Cook's tip: Instead of using fresh tomatoes, this drink can also be made with a 400 g can of chopped tomatoes.
Rate This Recipe