- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 110 g butter, softened
- 170 g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 85 g self-raising flour
- 225 g ground almonds
- 150 ml water
- zest of 1 lemons
- icing sugar
- thick cream, to serve
For the grilled boozy clementines:
- 9 clementines
- 5 tbsp demerara sugar
- Grand Marnier, or other orange liqueur
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Grease a 28cm shallow flan tin with a little butter and line the base with greaseproof paper.
2. In a mixing bowl beat together the butter, sugar and eggs until pale and thick.
3. Beat in the flour, almonds, water and lemon zest.
4. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden and cooked through. Allow to cool slightly and remove from tin.
5. Draw a cross or Christmas tree onto cardboard and cut it out. Place on the cake and sprinkle the cake evenly with icing sugar. Lift the cardboard off carefully.
6. To make the boozy clementines, preheat the grill to its highest setting.
7. Place the clementines in a bowl, cover with boiling water and set to one side for 2-3 minutes. Remove the clementines with a slotted spoon and peel, removing as much of the white pith as possible. Cut each clementine horizontally in half.
8. Place the clementine slices on a grill pan and scatter over the Demerara sugar. Place under the preheated grill for 2-3 minutes until the sugar has melted. Place on a serving plate and while still warm drizzle over the orange liqueur.
9. Serve at once with thick cream and a slice of warm Santiago almond cake.
Rate This Recipe