- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1/2 chicken, or 4 chicken portions
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small handfuls parsley, chopped
- 1 potato, peeled and sliced
- 2 handfuls crushed vermicelli noodles
- salt and black pepper
Tips and Suggestions
To help meet your five a day, add a few extra chopped vegetables to the broth along with the potatoes and carrots. For more information on healthier eating see eatwell.gov.uk
1. Put the chicken, two of the chopped carrots, leek, onion and parsley into a large pan and cover with water. Bring to the boil over a high heat then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 1 hour or until the chicken is cooked through and falling off the bone.
2. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside on a warm plate. Pour the remaining soup through a sieve into a clean pan and discard the vegetables, leaving a clear broth.
3. Top up with a little water if necessary, season with salt and black pepper and tip in the potatoes and remaining chopped carrot. Bring back to a simmer for 10 minutes then stir in the vermicelli and simmer for a further 5 minutes or until the vermicelli is tender.
4. While the broth is simmering, pull the chicken meat off the bone and shred. Discard the bones and skin.
5. Pour the hot broth into warm serving bowls, add a handful of shredded chicken and serve with warm, crusty bread rolls.
Rate This Recipe