- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 4 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 4 sheets nori seaweed
- 1 tsp ume paste
- 4 sardine fillets
- 4 shiso leaves, washed and cut in half
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 60 g tempura flour
- 80 ml ice cold water
- 2 lemon wedges, to serve
1. Lay a nori sheet out on a chopping board and spread thinly with ume paste.
2. Cut a sardine fillet in half across the thickness of the fish and lay on top of the nori sheet, as if you were making a sandwich.
3. Place shiso leaf on top.
4. Brush the edge of the nori sheet with water and carefully roll up the nori sheet to form a tube. Seal with water.
5. Repeat with the other 3 nori sheets.
6. Mix the tempura flour, ice cold water, and a pinch of salt and pepper, in a bowl with a fork until smooth.
7. Dust the nori rolls in a light coating of plain flour. Heat the tempura batter in a wok of deep fat fryer to 180C and fry the rolls for 2-3 minutes, until crisp. Drain and cut in half. Serve immediately garnished with lemon wedges.
Rate This Recipe