- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the panzanella
- 200 g stale country bread or ciabatta bread, without crust, cut into 2cm dice, toasted
- 3 small tomatoes, on the vine
- 1 large red onion, cut into slivers
- 1 large bunch basil
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp white wine vinegar
For the sardines
- 4 whole sardines, cleaned
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- lemon and oil dressing
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
1. For the panzanella: put some of the toasted bread cubes straight in a bowl, and soak the rest briefly in water before, squeezing well and mixing them in. Dice the tomatoes and stir into the bread along with the onions. Tear in the basil and sprinkle over the olive oil and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper, stir and set aside to let the flavours infuse.
2. For the sardines: heat a griddle pan until smoking hot. Season the sardines, brush with a little olive oil and put them on the griddle. Cook until crusty on one side (about 3 minutes) then turn and do the same on the other side (about 2 minutes).
3. While the sardines are cooking, season and dress the rocket. Spoon some panzanella on each serving plate with the rocket next to it. Lay the sardines on top of the panzanella and drizzle with the olive oil. Serve with a wedge of lemon.
Rate This Recipe