- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the mashed potatoes
- 450 g potatoes
- knob of butter
For the sausages and onion gravy
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 8 pork, leek and black pudding sausages
- 4 onions, sliced
- 200 ml shop-bought beef consommé
- 1 tsp demerara sugar
1. For the mashed potatoes: boil the potatoes in a pan of boiling salted water until tender - about 15-20 minutes. Drain well and mash with a ricer or potato masher until smooth, adding butter to taste. Keep warm.
2. For the sausages and onion gravy: heat a tablespoon of the oil in a frying pan and add the sausages, frying them until golden-brown all over and cooked all the way through. Keep the sausages warm.
3. Meanwhile, in a separate saucepan, heat the remaining oil, tip in the onions and cook over a low heat until caramelised.
4. Add the beef consommé and sugar and cook until reduced by half.
5. Serve the mashed potatoes dotted with two sausages per person and with the onion gravy poured over.
Made with produce from Berkins Butchers - finalists of the Local Food Hero Awards 2007.
Rate This Recipe