- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the ragu
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 juniper berry, crushed with a pestle and mortar
- 1 coil wild boar Cumberland sausages, or 4 individual sausages, skin removed
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 8 stems purple sprouting broccoli, to serve
For the polenta
- 250 g instant polenta, cooked according to packet instructions
- large knob butter
- 50 g freshly grated parmesan, plus extra to serve
1. For the ragu: heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat, add the shallots, bay leaf and juniper berries and fry gently for 5-6 minutes until the shallots are softened and translucent.
2. Add the sausage meat to the pan, breaking up any large lumps of meat with a wooden spoon, then stir in the tomatoes. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until you have a rich sauce. Season with salt and black pepper.
3. While the ragu is simmering, bring a pan of salted water to the boil and cook the purple sprouting broccoli for 3-4 minutes until just tender. Drain and keep warm.
4. For the polenta: stir the polenta over a medium heat then mix in the butter and parmesan.
5. To serve, transfer the polenta to serving dishes and spoon over the ragu. Top with the purple sprouting broccoli, drizzle with olive oil and scatter over some parmesan.
Rate This Recipe