- Serves: makes 12
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes plus 20 mins chilling
- Effort: easy
For the 'brown sauce' dressing
- 440 g truffle juice, reduced over high heat to glaze
- 150 g vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
For the sausage rolls
- 600 g minced pork, shoulder and neck
- 120 g raw foie gras
- 4 spices, (ground cloves, cinnamon, ginger and white pepper)
- 50 g black perigord truffles, or wild mushroom duxelle (see cooks note)
- 500 g ready-to-roll puff pastry
- 2 egg yolks, to glaze
Tips and Suggestions
duxelles is a mixture of finely chopped mushrooms, shallots and herbs cooked in butter until it forms a thick paste.
1. For the 'brown sauce' dressing: put all the ingredients for the dressing into food processor and blend on high speed for 3 minutes. Leave to rest at room temperature.
2. For the sausage rolls: mince the raw pork and foie gras together adding good pinch of salt and either the 4 spice or black pepper.
3. Finely chop the truffle or wild mushroom and add to the pork. Mix well then divide mince mixture into 12 even balls of about 80g each. Roll each ball into sausage.
4. Roll out puff pastry into 2 sheets ½ cm thick and cut out 24 oblongs of 12 x 6cm. Leave to rest in a fridge for 20 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
6. Take 12 of the pastry pieces, glaze with egg yolk around each side and place sausage meat on top. Add second sheet of pastry, ensure that all sides are sealed properly and glaze the whole top of sausage roll.
7. Cook on the top shelf of the oven for 12 minutes, until golden brown. Serve warm, with a good dollop of 'brown sauce' and a generous salad.
Rate This Recipe