- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 1 hr rising
- Effort: medium
- 450 g strong bread flour
- 175 ml milk
- 50 g dried yeast
- pinch of salt
- 60 g caster sugar
- 200 g butter
- 4 medium eggs
- apricot jam
For the plum compote:
- 8 plums, pitted and chopped
- 50 g demerara sugar
- 40 g butter
- splash of calvados
1. Place the flour, milk, yeast, salt, sugar and butter in a bowl. Break in the eggs.
2. Mix together, beating well for 6 minutes until smooth.
3. Turn the mixture into a greased savarin ring mould and set aside to rise for 1 hour.
4. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
5. Bake the risen savarin for 25 minutes until golden brown.
6. Meanwhile, make the plum compote. Place the plums, sugar and butter in a non-stick saucepan.
7. Bring to the boil and cook briskly, stirring often, until the plums soften. Remove from direct heat and add in the Calvados.
8. Turn out the freshly baked savarin from its tin and place on a serving dish. Gently heat the apricot jam in a small non-stick saucepan. Brush the savarin with the warm apricot jam to glaze it and fill the centre of the savarin with the plum compote. Serve.
Rate This Recipe