- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: medium
- 150 g butter
- 225 ml water
- 225 g plain flour
- 6 eggs
- pinch of salt
For the filling:
- vegetable oil, for roasting
- 4 red peppers, cut into chunks
- 4 courgettes, sliced into discs
- 2 red onions, quartered
- 2 aubergines
- black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- small handful of tarragon, torn into sprigs
- 24 sun-blushed tomatoes
- 400 g feta cheese
For the sauce:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 shallots, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- few sprig thyme
- 150 ml red wine
- 300 ml port
- 300 ml vegetable stock
- black pepper
1. First make the choux pastry. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
2. Place the butter and water in a non-stick saucepan and heat until the butter had melted.
3. Bring to the boil, remove from the heat, add the flour and mix in thoroughly. Return to the heat and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until thickened into a paste which leaves the side of the pan.
4. Remove from direct heat and beat in the eggs, one at a time, until mixed thoroughly. Mix in the salt, transfer to a piping bag, and leave to cool for a couple of minutes.
5. Pipe a 20cm circle onto a piece of grease-proof paper, then pipe another circle directly on top of the first.
6. Place the choux discs on a baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes until risen and golden.
7. Cool the choux ring, then slice in half across, forming two circular pastry discs.
8. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6. To make the filling, heat the vegetable oil in a roasting tray.
9. Season the peppers, courgettes, onion and aubergine with salt and freshly ground pepper. Place in the hot oil in the roasting tray, coating well, and sprinkle over the garlic.
10. Roast the vegetables for 30-40 minutes until softened. Remove from the oven and toss with the tarragon.
11. While the vegetables are roasting, make the sauce. Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan. Add the shallots, garlic and thyme and fry gently until softened.
12. Add the red wine and port, bring to the boil, cook briskly and reduce by three-quarters.
13. Add the vegetable stock and cook briskly until reduced to a sauce consistency. Pass the sauce through a sieve and season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Gently heat through before serving.
14. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
15. Arrange the roasting vegetables on top of one of the choux pastry discs. Top with the sun-blushed tomatoes, crumble over the feta cheese and sandwich together with the second choux pastry disc.
16. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes until the feta melts. Serve warm from the oven with the warm sauce. Finally serve with a slice of the vegetarian Paris Brest.
Rate This Recipe