- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 100 g smoked streaky bacon, diced into 5mm cubes
- 150 g waxy potatoes, peeled and diced into 5mm cubes
- 50 g white/pale green part of leeks, diced into 5mm cubes
- 50 g celery, diced into 5mm cubes
- 1 clove garlic
- 500 ml fish stock
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 1 sprigs thyme
- 8 fresh scallops
- 125 ml double cream
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 3 water biscuits, or cream crackers, crushed
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
1. Preheat the oven to 110C/gas ¼. or its lowest setting.
2. Cut the tomatoes in half and using a parisienne cutter or teaspoon, scoop out the seeds. Arrange the tomatoes on a non-stick baking tray and season with a little salt and pepper. Put in the oven and leave until the tomatoes are shrivelled but not burnt. Remove from the oven and set aside.
3. Gently melt the butter in a large pan. Add the bacon and cook gently without colouring for about 5 minutes. Add the vegetables and the whole garlic clove and cook gently for about 5 minutes without colouring.
4. Pour in both stocks and add the thyme. Bring to the boil, skim, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for about 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are cooked.
5. Remove the thyme sprig and garlic clove and discard.
6. Depending on the size and thickness of the scallops cut into 3-4 slices each. Add these to the soup, heat them through gently then add the cream and parsley.
7. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper and lemon juice to taste. Sprinkle in the crushed water biscuits and mix in.
8. To serve: place 4 halves of the semi-dried tomatoes in the centre of each shallow bowl. Arrange the scallop slices around and ladle over the chowder. The chowder will reheat the tomatoes.
Rate This Recipe