- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus 30 mins marinating
- Effort: medium
- 10 diver-caught scallops, shelled but with corals attached
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- wasabi, to serve
- Japanese pickled ginger, to serve
For the marinated shitake mushrooms:
- 10 fresh fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 150 ml dry sherry
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- a pinch of dried dried red chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
For the spiced noodle salad:
- 200 g rice noodles, cooked
- 10cm piece of mooli (white radish)
- 2 carrots, sliced into thin matchsticks
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 5 cm ginger, sliced into thin matchsticks
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
For the teriyaki dressing:
- 4 tbsp teriyaki sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- juice of 1 limes
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2cm piece of ginger, chopped finely
- a handful of fresh coriander, chopped
1. Marinade the shitake mushrooms in the sesame oil, dry sherry and soy sauce in a bowl for 30 minutes.
2. Make the teriyaki dressing by mixing together the teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, lime juice, garlic, ginger, honey and fresh coriander in a bowl.
3. Add a tablespoon of the teriyaki dressing to the cooked rice noodles. Toss the noodles until evenly coated with the dressing.
4. Add the mooli, carrots, shallots, ginger and garlic and toss together with the remaining dressing.
5. Remove the shitake mushrooms from the marinade (reserving the marinade) and slice them. Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan and fry the mushrooms for 2-3 minutes, until lightly browned.
6. Remove the mushrooms from the pan and set aside. De-glaze the pan with the marinade and add the chilli flakes. Cook briskly for 2 minutes, until reduced.
7. In a separate heavy-based frying pan heat a tablespoon of sesame oil and sear the scallops briefly on each side. Slice them thinly.
8. Place the noodle salad in the centre of a serving plate and top with the shitake mushrooms and sliced scallops, Drizzle over a little of the reduced mushroom marinade. Serve with pickled ginger and wasabi.
Rate This Recipe