- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the scallops
- 4x large king scallops, roe removed (keep 4 half shells for serving)
- 4 sprigs lemon balm
- 8 slices ginger
- 2 spring onions, (thinly sliced diagonally)
- 4 small sprigs baby watercress
- 100 g banana shallots, sliced
For the shallot mash
- 1 large Desirée potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 banana shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp double cream
- 1/2 tbsp crème fraîche
For the redcurrant sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 100 ml dry white wine
- 200 ml fish stock
- 100 ml double cream
- 1 punnet redcurrants
- sugar, to taste
For the spinach
- 4 sprigs chervil, kept in cold water
- 4 sprigs redcurrants
1. Make the shallot mash first: place the potatoes in a pan of salted cold water, bring to the boil, and simmer until soft. Drain and mash the potato.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a frying pan and gently cook the shallots until soft.
3. Add to the mashed potato and place in a food processor. Process until smooth, then stir in the cream, remaining olive oil and crème fraiche. Season with salt and pepper.
4. To make the redcurrant sauce: heat the olive oil in a medium pan and gently cook the shallots until soft. Add the dry white wine and cook steadily until reduced by half. Add the fish stock and continue cooking until reduced by half.
5. Add the double cream and redcurrants and heat through. Stir in the sugar and season with salt and pepper. Push the mixture through a sieve or blend in a food processor until smooth.
6. To cook the scallops: place the scallops in their shells in a steamer with the lemon balm, ginger, spring onions and a drizzle of olive oil and cover each with a square of buttered greaseproof paper. Steam for 3-4 minutes.
7. Remove the scallops from the shells and add their juices to the sauce. Discard the ginger and spring onions.
8. To cook the spinach: heat a pan and add the olive oil and spinach. Cook for a few minutes until the spinach has wilted. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
9. To serve: place some spinach in the bottom of each shell, top with potato and place a scallop on top. Drizzle redcurrant sauce around the edge of the shells and garnish with baby watercress, chervil and redcurrant sprigs.
Rate This Recipe