- Serves: 1-2
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 1 hr marinating (maximum)
- Effort: medium
- 8 scallops, shelled (shells reserved), trimmed, with coral attached
- juice of half a limes
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 red pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sprig curry leaf
- 6-8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp pink peppercorns, lightly crushed
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 110 g field mushrooms, sliced
For the Banana flower salad:
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 clove garlic, sliced
- 1/2 tsp tamarind pulp
- juice of 1/2 limes
- 1/2 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 banana flower, shredded
- 200 g mixed salad leaves, (oak leaf, lamb's lettuce, rocket)
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
1. First prepare the scallops. Mix together the scallops with the lime juice, curry powder and paprika. Marinate in the fridge for no more than 1 hour.
2. Meanwhile, grill the pepper until charred all over. Cool, peel, de-seed and chop.
3. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan. Fry the curry leaves and chopped garlic until the garlic caramalises. Then add the pink peppercorns, cumin and turmeric and fry, mixing,for 1-2 minutes.
4. Mix in the chopped red pepper and set aside.
5. Heat a griddle pan until hot. Grill the scallops and field mushrooms for 1-3 minutes, sealing the scallops and cooking the mushrooms. Set aside.
6. To make the salad first make the dressing. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a small frying pan. Fry the garlic until lightly browned.
7. In a bowl whisk together the browned garlic, tamarind pulp, lime juice, remaining olive oil, salt and white pepper until the dressing emulsifies.
8. Toss together the shredded banana flower, grilled mushrooms and dressing.
9. Place the salad leaves in the centre of a serving plate. Top with the banana leaf mixture. Arrange the scallops in their shells around the edge of the plate.
10. Drizzle the red pepper mixture over the scallops, garnish with cherry tomatoes and serve.
Rate This Recipe