- Serves: 1
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: hard
For the sauce (this makes enough for 4 servings)
- 5 oranges, 1 segmented, the others juiced
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp double cream
- 100 g butter, add as desired to thicken sauce, you do not need to use full amount
For the tart tatin
- 40 g butter
- 50 g sugar
- 1 heads chicory
- 1 thin disc puff pastry, 8cm diameter
For the scallops
- 1 tsp clarified butter
- 2 large diver-caught sea scallops
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- 1 handfuls spring greens, thinly sliced and deep-fried
- 1 tsp caviar
- tips of chives
1. To make the sauce, peel and segment one of the oranges and set the segments aside in a bowl.
2. Squeeze the juice from the remaining four oranges and place the juice in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil hard until the liquid has reduced to a syrup.
3. Stir in the honey and white wine vinegar, then the double cream. Whisk small pieces of the butter into the sauce a little at a time until it is glossy. Add the orange segments and set aside.
4. To make the tart tatin, preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. In a small pan melt the butter and sugar together and cook until the mixture is a golden brown caramel. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Pour into a small round ovenproof dish.
5. Toss the chicory in some lemon juice and salt to prevent discoloration. Cut it in half, remove the root and lay smooth side (cut side) down in the caramel. Place the puff pastry on top and tuck the edges down around the side of the tin. Bake for 5-8 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
6. To cook the scallops, in a hot pan heat the clarified butter, and once smoking (the pan needs to be extremely hot) place the scallops in the pan smooth-side down. Once the edges start to turn golden brown, turn the scallops over, add a knob of fresh butter and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add a squeeze of lemon juice and remove the pan from the heat.
7. Turn out the tart tatin onto the centre of a serving plate. Place the scallops on either side. Spoon some sauce over one of the scallops and top with the deep-fried greens. Garnish the other scallop with caviar and chives.
Rate This Recipe