- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 6 banana shallots, for the puree
- 2-4 banana shallots, for the crispy shallots
- 50 g butter
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 50 ml double cream
- olive oil, plus a knob of butter, for frying
- 50 g salt
- 12 scallops
1. In a frying pan add the butter, thyme, garlic and shallots. Cover with a lid and gently cook over low heat for 45 minutes until soft.
2. Place the mixture into a blender with enough double cream to loosen, along with a knob of butter. Blend to a puree. You can sieve them for a finer puree, if you wish.
3. Using a mandolin, slice the remaining shallots very thinly and place in a colander with a sprinkling of salt to draw out the moisture. Leave for 30 minutes. Squeeze the shallots hard in a cloth to remove any remaining moisture.
4. Dust the shallots in flour and deep fry in vegetable oil.
5. Pan fry the scallops in 1 tbsp of olive oil and a knob of butter for 30 seconds to 1 minute on each side (or until golden brown).
6. Place a spoonful of the shallot puree on a plate, with the scallop puree and scatter over the crispy shallots. Serve with some sauteed kale.
Rate This Recipe