- Serves: 6 (or 4 as a main meal)
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4-5 oranges, (blood or regular) peeled and pith removed
- 3 medium fennel, thinly sliced
- 1 medium head radicchio, quartered and thinly sliced
- 18 large scallops
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp chopped basil
For the dressing
- 250 ml olive oil
- 1 orange, grated zest and juice only
- 25 ml white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey, or more to taste
1. For the dressing: process all the ingredients in a food processor, or whisk by hand, until thoroughly combined. Season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper to taste, adding more honey, as required, if the vinaigrette is not sweet enough.
2. Slice the oranges into 5mm slices you should have about 18 slices and put into a bowl.
3. Add the fennel and radicchio to the bowl. Add about 175ml of the vinaigrette and toss to combine.
4. Separate the corals from the main body of the scallops. Season all with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
5. Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large, heavy-based, non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add the scallops and fry gently for about 3-4 minutes until golden on both sides and just opaque in middle.
6. After the scallops have been cooking for a minute or two, put the remaining butter in the pan and add the corals, which will cook faster.
7. To serve, divide the fennel salad among 6 plates. Arrange 3 scallops on top of the salad on each plate, with the corals beside them. Drizzle with the remaining vinaigrette and sprinkle with basil.
Rate This Recipe