- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 70 ml tamari, or gluten free dark soy sauce
- 1½ tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp chilli oil
- 1 tsp lemongrass, finely diced, white part only
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, stems removed, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 16 scallops, roe removed
- 1 long red chilli, seeded and julienned
- coriander, to garnish
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the tamari, lemon juice, chilli oil, lemongrass, garlic, sugar and half the lime leaves. Whisk well to dissolve the sugar, then set the dressing aside.
2. Heat a flat chargrill pan or frying pan to very high. Add the vegetable oil. Add the scallops to the pan and allow to cook for 30 seconds before turning. Take ¬care not to cook the scallops all the way through, as they will continue to ¬cook once taken off the heat. The scallops should be slightly caramelized around the edges.
3. Remove the seared scallops to a serving platter, or to individual clean scallop shells, if you have some. Spoon the dressing over, garnish with the remaining lime leaves, chilli and coriander and serve.
Want to see more? Take a look at lots more of our dinner party starter recipes.
Rate This Recipe