- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 55 g butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 stick celery
- grated zest of 1 oranges
- 3 tbsp fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp parsley, hopped
- 1 tbsp rosemary, hopped
- 1 tbsp thyme, hopped
- salt and black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 whole leg of lamb, (1.3 kg after boning)oned
For the layered potatoes:
- 55 g butter, plus 1 tsp for greasing
- 900 g waxy potatoes, (Desiree, Romano, Estima or Wilja) finely sliced
- 450 g onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp parsley, hopped
- 6 bay leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas 4.
2. Heat the butter in a frying pan. Add the onion, garlic and celery and fry gently for 10 minutes until softened.
3. Mix in the orange zest, breadcrumbs, parsley, rosemary and thyme. Set aside to cool slightly. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper and mix in the egg, mixing well.
4. Fill the cavity in the lamb with the breadcrumb mixture and either sew up each end with string or tuck the ends under.
5. Grease a deep oven-proof dish with the teaspoon of butter and cover the bottom with a layer of half of the potatoes. Then add all the onions and the parsley, bay leaves and half the other butter. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Cover with the remaining potatoes and butter.
6. Put the lamb on top and cover with tin foil. Roast in the oven, allowing 25 minutes per lb and 25 minutes over. Half an hour before the end of cooking remove the foil to let the lamb brown.
Rate This Recipe