- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus 1 hr 30 mins rising
- Effort: medium
- 15 g fresh yeast, (or 7g dried yeast)
- 250 ml lukewarm water
- 200 g sugar
- 450 g strong bread flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 400 g red grapes, halved and seeded
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- rich cheese, such as gratte-paille, to serve
1. Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm water with a little of the sugar.
2. On a clean working surface, combine the flour with a little salt, make a well in the centre and pour in the oil and yeast mixture. Knead together to a smooth mass.
3. Set aside and leave to rise for an hour in a warm place.
4. Punch down the dough, knead a little and halve. Roll one half making a circle slightly larger than a circular pizza tray. Spread this dough circle into a buttered non-stick circular pizza tray.
5. Mix together the grapes, sugar, fennel seeds and mixed spice. Sprinkle two-thirds of the grape mixture over the dough.
6. Roll out a similar-sized circle from the remaining dough and layer over the grape mixture. Top the dough with the remaining grape mixture.
7. Set aside to rise for 30 minutes.
8. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
9. Bake the schiacciata con uve for 20 minutes, until golden. Serve warm from the oven with cheese.
Rate This Recipe