- Serves: makes about 20
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 500 g plain flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 75 g caster sugar
- 85 g butter
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 230 ml milk
- 1 handfuls sultanas
- 1 eggs, beaten to glaze
1. Preheat the oven to 230C/210C fan/gas 8.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and sugar together in a bowl. Sift again to ensure the baking power is well mixed.
3. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
4. Make a well in the centre and pour in the eggs and enough milk to give a fairly soft dough.
5. Mix in the sultanas.
6. Turn the mixture onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out lightly to a thickness of about 2cm. Cut into rounds with a 5cm cutter.
7. Place the rounds on a baking sheet. Liberally brush with beaten egg, making sure the egg wash doesn't spill over the edges (this will prevent cooking).
8. Bake for about 10-15 minutes until brown and well risen.
9. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Rate This Recipe