- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus overnight soaking
- Effort: easy
- 450 g scrag of mutton, or middle neck of lamb, trimmed of excess fat
- 2.2 litres water
- 1 tsp salt
- 50 g pearl barley, rinsed and drained
- 50 g dried peas, soaked overnight and drained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 small turnip, diced
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 1/4 small cabbage, leaves shredded
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
1. Put the meat into a large pan with the water, salt, barley and peas. Bring slowly to the boil, skimming off any foam as it appears.
2. Add all the remaining vegetables except the cabbage and bring to simmering point.
3. Partially cover the pan and simmer for about 2 hours until the meat is tender.
4. Tip in the cabbage for the last 15 minutes of cooking.
5. Remove the meat and bones from the pan and shred the meat, discarding the bones.
6. Return the meat to the pan and simmer for a further 5 minutes
7. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Pour the soup into deep bowls and sprinkle with chopped parsley before serving.
Rate This Recipe