- Effort: easy
- 2 kg joint beef ribs
- 2 tbsp beef dripping
- salt and black pepper
- small bunch thyme, finely chopped
- English mustard powder
For the potatoes
- 6 Maris Piper potatoes, cut into 6 pieces approx
- 1 cube of beef stock
- 200 g semolina, (or enough to lightly cover the potatoes)
- 1 tsp celery salt
For the carrots
- 600 g carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 5. Melt some dripping in a roasting tin over a high heat. Add the beef and sear on each side to brown the surface. Remove from the heat.
2. Lightly sprinkle the meat with salt and pepper, chopped thyme and English mustard. Transfer the beef to the oven and roast for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and cut each one into six pieces. Place in a saucepan, cover with water, add some salt and bring to the boil. Cook for just 6 minutes, then drain. Return the potatoes to the hot pan to steam dry.
4. Grind the beef stock cube to a powder and mix in a large bowl with the semolina and celery salt. Add the potatoes to the semolina mixture and toss gently until well coated. Arrange the potatoes around the beef in the roasting pan (adding some extra hot dripping if necessary) and cook until the potatoes are crisp.
5. When the beef is done to your liking, remove it from the oven, cover with foil and leave to rest for about 15 minutes.
6. Place the carrots in a saucepan and pour in enough water to cover. Add the honey and lemon. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes, then drain. Serve with the beef and semolina-dusted potatoes.
Rate This Recipe