- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 1.6666666666666667 hours 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 700 g stewing steak, cubed
- 1 pinches salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut into 1cm pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 350 ml red wine
- 800 ml beef stock
- 1 bay leaves
- 225 g potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3 large carrots, cut into 1.5cm cubes
For the pickled cabbage
- 1 red cabbage, shredded
- 200 ml white wine vinegar
- 100 ml water
- 100 g caster sugar
1. Season the beef with salt and pepper, and coat with flour.
2. Heat a large saucepan over a medium heat and pour in the olive oil. Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes, before stirring in the beef and garlic. Seal the meat on both sides - about 1 minute.
3. Pour in the wine and reduce by half - about 5-8 minutes. Add the beef stock and bay leaf and simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Tip in the potatoes and carrots, and continue to simmer gently for another hour. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
5. For the pickled cabbage, place the cabbage in a saucepan with vinegar, water and sugar. Cook over a medium heat for 8-10 minutes, or until the cabbage is soft, preferably with a bit of crunch.
6. Serve the scouse steaming hot in bowls and top with the pickled cabbage, which can be served hot or cold.
Rate This Recipe