- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus marinating time
- Effort: easy
- 4 sea bass, fillets, with skin on
- 40 ml vegetable oil
- 2 sticks dried kombu, (see Cooks note below)
For the yuzu koshu and lime paste
- 2 limes, zest and juice
- 1/4 bunch coriander, shredded
For the blackened tomato salad
- 100 g yellow teardrop tomatoes
- 100 red cherry tomatoes
- 100 g tiger stripe tomatoes
- 1/4 bunch coriander, leaves coarsely picked
- 1 lime, juice only
- 80 ml olive oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- pinches shichimi pepper
Tips and Suggestions
Kombu is a form of kelp, a nutrient-rich brown seaweed cultivated in Japan.
Yuzu koshu is a spicy Japanese paste made from green or yellow yuzu zest (yuzu is an Asian citrus fruit), green or red chillies and salt.
Both kombu and yuzu koshu are available from the Asian section of supermarkets or from Japanese markets.
1. For the yuzu koshu and lime paste: mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl until thoroughly combined.
2. With a sharp knife, score the skin of the sea bass very closely, making slashes about 5mm apart.
3. Oil the flesh of the sea bass fillets generously and rub the yuzu koshu and lime paste into the flesh side only. Allow to stand and marinate until required.
4. Soak the kombu sticks in water to rehydrate.
5. For the blackened tomato salad: blacken the teardrop and cherry tomatoes with direct flame from a blow torch. Cut the blackened tomatoes in half and put into a bowl.
6. Dice the tiger stripe tomatoes into 2cm pieces and add to the bowl with the coriander leaves.
7. In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, sesame oil, a pinch of sea salt and shichimi pepper. Set dressing and salad aside until ready to serve.
8. Heat the grill to high and line the grill tray with foil.
9. Lay the marinated fish, flesh side down, on a length of kombu. Arrange the fish and kombu on the foil-lined tray and grill for 8-10 minutes until the flesh is pearly and the skin is crispy.
10. To serve, add a generous amount of dressing to the blackened tomato salad, toss to combine and serve immediately with the grilled fish.
Rate This Recipe