- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the hash
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 baby beetroot
- 4 tbsp olive oil, for cooking
- 2 bunches baby turnips, peeled
- 1 banana shallot, chopped
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
- black pepper
For the mackerel and rosemary and lemon butter
- 1 lemon zest, zest and juice
- 1 sprig rosemary, chopped
- 60 g soft butter
- 4 x 150 g mackerel fillets
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Drizzle the beetroots with half of the olive oil and scatter the garlic over the top. Wrap in kitchen foil and bake for 15 minutes until just softened.
3. Cook the turnips in boiling, salted water for 6-8 minutes until just soft.
4. When the beetroots have cooled, peel and set aside.
5. Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and fry the shallots for 1 minute. Add the beetroots and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add the turnips, parsley and seasoning. Set aside and keep warm.
6. Mix the lemon zest and juice with the chopped rosemary and beat into the butter.
7. Season the mackerel on both sides and cook skin side down in a non-stick frying pan for 2 minutes.
8. Turn the fish over, add the rosemary and lemon butter and cook for a further 2 minutes.
9. Pile the hash on a plate, top with the mackerel fillets and spoon the pan juices over and around. Serve straight away.
Rate This Recipe