- Serves: 4 as a snack
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the pastry wrappers
- 4 sheets filo pastry, each 25cm square
- 1 egg, lightly beaten, for glazing
- vegetable oil, for frying
- sea salt
- 12 fresh scallops, without roe, for frying
For the chilli jam
- 200 ml rice vinegar, or Mirin
- 200 g caster sugar
- 2 red chillies, chopped
For the spring roll filling
- 1 large bunch watercress
- 180 g fresh crab meat
- salt and black pepper
1. For the chilli jam, dissolve the sugar in the vinegar and add the chillies. Cook, over a moderate heat for about 10 minutes, until the syrup has thickened and reduced by about a third.
2. Combine the watercress with the crabmeat, season well and leave on one side.
3. Separate out the filo pastry squares and turn each square so that a corner points towards you. Brush the pastry with beaten egg, and place the filling over of each square. Roll the corner over the filling and continue rolling to the opposite corner. When you reach half-way, tuck the edges in.
4. Press well to seal the pastry together. Roll the pastry around the filling and shape into a cylinder.
5. Heat a 1/2 cm depth of oil in a deep-sided frying pan, over a moderate heat. Shallow fry the spring rolls for about 3-4 minutes, until they are lightly coloured. Slice into manageable bite-sized pieces.
6. Season the scallops with sea salt and sear on a hot griddle for about 1 minute on each side, until they're just cooked. Serve straight away with the hot spring rolls and chilli jam sauce.
Rate This Recipe