- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 carrots, sliced into matchsticks
- 1 large bulb fennel, finely sliced
- 2 large red onions, finely sliced
- 4 x 170 g popeseye steaks
- 2 tbsp crème fraîche, (optional)
- 1 tsp chopped tarragon, (optional)
- 1 lime, juice only
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- drizzle sesame oil, (optional)
1. Heat half of the olive in a pan until hot. Add the carrots, fennel, and onions and fry for 5-6 minutes until beginning to soften, but not coloured. Keep warm.
2. Season the steak with salt and pepper. In a hot pan, fry the steaks in the remaining olive oil for a few minutes on each side for a medium-rare finish (add an extra 1-2 minutes cooking time on each side if you prefer your meat more done).
3. Remove the steaks from the pan and leave to rest, in a warm place, for about 5 minutes.
4. If using the crème fraîche and tarragon, mix together with half of the lime juice.
5. To finish the dish, squeeze the remaining half of the lime juice into the vegetables, along with salt and pepper, to taste, and the toasted sesame seeds. Stir in the crème fraîche, tarragon and lime juice (or just the remaining lime juice if you're not using the crème fraîche and tarragon). Add an optional drizzle of sesame seed oil.
6. Divide the vegetables among four plates, and top with the finely sliced steaks.
Rate This Recipe