- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large aubergine
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 2.5 cm piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp medium-strength curry powder, or curry paste
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tbsp lightlight muscovado sugar
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 50 g pine kernels
- 50 g raisins
- 4 tbsp coriander, chopped
- 4 x 175 g tuna steaks, each at least 2.5cm thick
- black pepper
- lightly dressed rocket salad, to serve (optional)
1. Heat 4 tablespoons of the oil in a large frying pan. Add the aubergine, season and sauté over a medium heat for 8-10 minutes until cooked through and tender. Add the onion to the pan with the celery and ginger and cook for another 4-5 minutes or until all the vegetables are softened but not coloured.
2. Add the curry powder or paste to the aubergine mixture, then stir in the tomato purée and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the sugar and vinegar with 6 tablespoons of water, give it a good mix, then simmer gently for another 5 minutes until well reduced and thickened.
3. Meanwhile, heat a frying pan over a medium heat, add the pine nuts and cook for a few minutes until toasted, tossing occasionally. Stir into the aubergine mixture with the raisins and coriander. Season to taste and simmer gently for another couple of minutes to allow the flavours to combine. Transfer to a bowl and set aside at room temperature to cool.
4. To cook the tuna, heat a griddle pan until searing hot. Season the tuna fillets and smear each one with a little of the remaining oil. Quickly sear for 1-2 minutes on each side until just sealed and lightly charred. Arrange on warmed serving plates with small mounds of the aubergine chutney. Garnish with the rocket salad, to serve, if liked.
Rate This Recipe