- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the tuna
- 4 tuna steaks, each 140g
For the sauce
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- tsp dried red chilli flakes
- 4 tinned anchovies
- 150 g baby plum tomatoes, halved
- 75 g black Kalamata olives, in olive oil stoned (from a jar, not a tin or brined)
- 100 g grilled artichokes, (from a jar, not a tin or brined
- 1 handful leaves basil
For the garlic breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely sliced
- 100 g breadcrumbs
- sea salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 lemon zest, only
- 2 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
1. For the tuna: heat the light olive oil in a heavy-based frying pan to smoking hot. Season the tuna with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then fry for 1-2 minutes on each side (for rare), or until cooked to your liking. Remove from the pan and allow to rest on a warm plate.
2. For the sauce: in a separate pan heat the extra virgin olive oil, add the chilli flakes and anchovy fillets and fry for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until softened, then add the olives and artichokes and cook for a further minute to heat through. Season with a little salt (remember the anchovies are salty) and plenty of freshly ground black pepper, then stir in the basil.
3. For the garlic breadcrumbs: add the extra virgin olive oil to the pan used to cook the tuna, along with the garlic. Cook for a few seconds, then add the breadcrumbs and season well with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook over a high heat for 3-4 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs are beginning to become crisp, then stir in the lemon zest and parsley.
4. To serve, spoon the sauce onto the centre of four serving plates, place a tuna steak on top of each and finish with a sprinkling of the crispy breadcrumbs.
Rate This Recipe