- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 large tuna steaks
For the marinade:
- 1 tsp chopped thyme
- juice of 1 lemons
- 2 cloves garlic, finely crushed
- 1 tsp olive oil
For the salsa:
- 4 fresh plum tomatoes
- 1 bunches rocket, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp capers, finely chopped
- 1 bunches flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
For the dressing:
- 1 x 450g can canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 chilli, chopped
- 110 g sugar
- 110 ml water
- black pepper
1. Make a marinade by mixing together the thyme, lemon juice, garlic and olive oil.
2. Rub the tuna steaks with the marinade and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, make the dressing. Place the sugar and water in a small saucepan and heat gently, stirring often, until dissolved into a syrup.
4. In a jug blender, blend together the chopped tomatoes and chilli. Sieve the tomato puree and place in a saucepan. Add the sugar syrup and cook briskly, stirring often, until reduced to a thick syrup. Set aside to cool.
5. Make the salsa by mixing together the tomatoes, rocket, capers and parsley.
6. Preheat a griddle until very hot. Place the tuna on the hot griddle pan and cook for two minutes on either side.
7. To serve place the griddled tuna in the centre of a serving plate. Spoon most of the tomato dressing over the tuna steaks. Spoon the marinade and the remaining dressing round the edge of the plate. Top the tuna with the salsa. Serve.
Rate This Recipe