- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 1.5 hours 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus marination overnight
- Effort: medium
- a 1.5 kg chicken
- 115-130g ginger, grated
- 6-8 cloves garlic, chopped
- juice of 1 lemons
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 large pinches ground cinnamon
- black pepper
- 5-7 shallots, peeled and chopped
- 500 g mixed red and green seedless grapes, halved
- 250 ml chicken stock
- 300-350ml orange juice
1. Rub the chicken with half of the ginger, all of the
garlic, half of the lemon juice and 2 tbsp olive oil. Season with the ground cinnamon, salt and lots of freshly ground pepper.
2. Cover and marinate overnight in the fridge.
3. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/Gas 4. Remove the chicken from the marinade and pat the chicken dry with kitchen paper. Strain the marinade, reserving the ginger and garlic.
4. Rub the chicken with the remaining olive oil and place in a roasting tray. Fill the chicken cavity with 3-4 shallots, reserved garlic and ginger and as many grapes as will fit inside.
5. Roast the chicken for about 1.5 hours, until cooked through. Remove the chicken from the roasting tray, set aside and keep warm.
6. Skim any fat off the pan juices in the roasting tray. Add the remaining shallots to the roasting tray. Heat the tray over direct hob on the hob. Cook the shallots until softened, around 5 minutes. Add the remaining grapes, ginger, chicken stock, orange juice and any juices from the resting chicken.
7. Cook stirring over a high heat until the liquid has reduced to a thick, grape-studded sauce. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Add the remaining lemon juice to taste.
8. Carve the chicken into serving pieces. Serve at once with the sauce and grapes spooned around the chicken portions.
Rate This Recipe