- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 eggs, separated
- 100 g caster sugar
- 250 g mascarpone
- 200 ml double cream, lightly whipped
- 3 tbsp Irish cream liqueur
- 400 g prepared puff pastry
- 1 tsp melted butter
- 100 g cocoa powder
- 150 g blackberries and raspberries
1. Beat the egg yolks and sugar together for about 3-4 minutes, until thick and pale.
2. Add the mascarpone cheese and beat until mixed in.
3. Fold in the whipped cream with a metal spoon.
4. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until they resemble soft peaks.
5. Fold the egg whites and liqueur into the mascarpone mixture. Refrigerate until ready to use.
6. To make the sfogliatine, preheat the oven to 160C/gas 2. Scatter 40g of cocoa powder over a clean work surface and thinly roll the pastry out over it into an oblong. Sieve a further 40g of cocoa powder all over the pastry. Fold the top third of the pastry towards the centre of the pastry, and fold the bottom third upwards to the centre. Seal the edges together with your fingers.
7. Roll the pastry out thinly, this time to a square.
8. Brush a baking tray with some butter and place the pastry on top. Brush with 2 tablespoons of cold water and scatter over the remaining cocoa powder. Place another lightly buttered baking tray on top of the pastry to stop it rising as it cooks. Bake for 15 minutes - or until it's crisp.
9. Remove from the oven and carefully transfer the pastry to a clean work surface. Cut in rectangles measuring 4cm x 8cm.
10. Place 2 slices of pastry on a plate and cover each with 2 spoonfuls of the cream mixture. Place another slice of pastry on top of each. Repeat the process to build another layer. Dust with cocoa powder and serve.
Rate This Recipe