- Serves: 8-10
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 10 mins standing
- Effort: medium
- 500 g plain flour
- 140 g caster sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 140 g butter, melted
- 175 ml water
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- icing sugar, for dusting
1. Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl.
2. Add the sugar, cardamom and nutmeg and stir together.
3. Add the melted butter and mix together with your hands.
4. Add a little of the water at a time, mixing in to form a soft dough. Let the dough stand for 10 minutes.
5. Divide the dough into 4 portions.
6. On a chopping board, roll out one of the portions to about half a centimetre thick. Cut the rolled dough into 2.5cm thick strips. Turn the board a bout 40 degrees and cut again to form diamond-shaped pieces. Repeat this with the other portions.
7. Heat the vegetable oil for deep frying in a wok or deep fat fryer. Deep fry the diamonds until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon, drain on kitchen paper and serve warm or cold, dusted with icing sugar.
Rate This Recipe